Milk Carton Party Favor or Neighbor Gift Box tutorial


This post may seem long, but really the steps are quite simple. I personally am a visual learner and so I use a lot of pictures. If you have any questions, you are welcome to leave a comment and I'll try to answer you as soon as I can.
These "Milk-carton" like boxes come in three different sizes. (Sm/M/Lg) This tutorial is the same for all three. 

After you have cut your box and removed it from your mat, the first step is to crease at all fold marks. 

Next, fold the top section pictured below towards the side that will be your outside.


You will be tucking that tab below the circles into the slit. I find it easiest to do this by bending it slightly as pictured below:


After you've slid the tab into the slot, it should look like this on the back (inside):

The purpose of the previous steps is to strengthen the area that you will be knotting the ribbon around and also to give contrast.

Next step is to glue the sides in a box shape as shown:

Once your sides are secure, fold the matching bottom flaps in:

And then secure the other two flaps together by placing the tabbed flap over the slotted flap and sliding the tab into the slot as shown:

The bottom should end up looking like this:

You box is now ready to fill with party favors, treats, or any kind of surpise!



After filling, thread your ribbon, twine, ric rac, string, etc. through the holes as shown and secure with knot or bow. 

And you're done!

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tutorial - I LOVE these!! And so will my daughter's teachers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm new to this, please be patient. What type of paper would be best for this project? I have a Silhouette SD and am wondering if the large box can be cut out of a 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always a joy to see your comments Denise! I'm glad you like them and home her teachers did too.

    Hparei - I have used anything from type paper weight to heavy cardstock when building these. The question is what you will be placing inside. If it will be candies or something heavier, you will want to use a heavier weight material so the bottom doesn't give out.
    I used Samantha Walker's patterned cardstock for the demo and am able to fill it with valentine candies just fine.
    As for the size, yes you can cut this on the SD. The largest size it can be WITHOUT cutting the file up is about 7" tall and 2" wide once assembled.

    ReplyDelete
  4. do you think normal paper would be suitable as that's all I can get a hold of?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello TheZerosama0, I have used anything from type paper to heavy cardstock to make these boxes. It all depends on what you will be filling them with. I used cardstock from Samantha Walker for the demo, but if what you are filling the box with is light, I think you could get away with a light weight paper.

      Delete
  5. also is there a template as I don't know what shape this is to begin with

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The template is only available at the moment for the Silhouette Machine. If you own this die cutting machine, you can download the design templates here-
      small carton: http://www.silhouetteonlinestore.com/v2/viewShape.aspx?id=23953

      Medium carton:
      http://www.silhouetteonlinestore.com/v2/viewShape.aspx?id=23954

      Large carton:
      http://www.silhouetteonlinestore.com/v2/viewShape.aspx?id=23955

      Delete
  6. Do you have the finished measurements of the large??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi. I'm looking at your boxes in the SIL store, and I'm not sure which size I need. Can you please list the dimensions for each size (S, M, & L) and what size paper is needed to construct each one? Thank you for your time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, Could you list the dimensions for each of the boxes? I'm primarily looking for one to hold a standard stemmed wine glass.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do you have the dimensions for the boxes; primarily for the larger one. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails